- Learning Codes
- 4000 Wellness & Public Health (4040 Disease Prevention; 4120 Lifecycle)
- 2000 Science of Food and Nutrition (2070 Macronutrients; 2090 Micronutrients)
- 5000 Medical Nutrition Therapy (5270 Infectious Diseases)
Improving oral health is a national as well as global objective.1-3 Although the oral health of Americans has dramatically improved over the past 50 years, diseases of the oral cavity, most commonly dental caries (tooth decay) and periodontal disease, continue to be problems for millions of Americans each year.1,3-6
This continuing professional education module for dietetic professionals focuses on the role of nutrition and diet in oral diseases, specifically dental caries and periodontal disease, and linkages between oral health and overall health. Information in this module can increase awareness and understanding of the complex interactions between nutrition, oral health and systemic health and help Registered Dietitians (RDs); Dietetic Technicians, Registered (DTRs); and other health professionals promote good oral health through good nutrition.
If you are a registered dietitian or a dietetic technician, registered, simply follow the instructions to earn one CPE credit hour following your successful completion of the CPE questions.
*For more information about Kraft Global Nutrition, click here.
- Course Objectives
- After completing this self-study CPE program, participants will be able to:
- Describe the complex interrelationship among teeth, saliva, diet and biofilm in the formation of caries.
- Discuss the relative cariogenicity of specific foods and nutrients, both in isolation and within the context of overall eating behaviors.
- Demonstrate awareness of the connections between nutrition, periodontal disease and other nutrition-related chronic diseases.
- Identify nutrition and dietary recommendations to protect oral health.
- Read the Course Objectives for this CPE self study module, listed to the right. NOTE: Downloadable Files are in PDF format and require Adobe® Acrobat Reader®, click and download it free.
- Download this CPE Article to get started with the course.
- To ensure you have met the Course Objectives, download and complete the CPE Quiz for this course. When you are finished, download and view the CPE Answer Key.
- Complete the CPE Online Evaluation Form for this course. At the end of the evaluation, you will be redirected to the Kraft Nutrition Update home page.
- Return to this CPE page. Download the CPE Certificate of Completion for this course to keep in your files. This verifies succesful completion of this course and earns you 1 CPE credit hour.